|EAST SUSSEX||WEST SUSSEX||KENT||SURREY||HAMPSHIRE|
Although the Wealden clay does extend slightly into east Hampshire, no local mining took place and there's no definite record of furnaces operating that far over in the northwest Weald. Bramshott Hammer Forge near Liphook (SU 819344) was established in 1590 by Henry Champion, who leased the land from Ludshott Manor. Like the Surrey forges, this imported pig iron from Sussex, namely Milland and Inholms Copse furnaces. Later the Hooke family took over Bramshott and Milland, supplying shot for ordnance contracts. The forge converted to a paper mill in 1690, known as Passfield, but is now covered by industrial development. All surviving water channels around here were created for the paper mill.
There are a few 'pretenders' nearby. Three alleged ‘hammer’ ponds at Waggoners Wells on the river Wey, dammed by Henry Hooke after 1615, are often described as hammer or pen ponds but are downstream of Bramshott Hammer and never served a forge. Hollywater’s rumoured association with Bramshott Hammer remains unproved.
Like other parts of Britain near suitable ore deposits, from the second half of the sixteenth century southwest Hampshire followed the Weald's example and built several ironworks, sourcing ore from eg Hengistbury Head, or using scrap iron, but their history is beyond the scope of this website.